The 129th Running of the Kentucky Derby . . . Saturday, May 3, 2003
1. Supah Blitz (50-1) . Ran 4th to favored Empire Maker in the Florida Derby but doesn.t appear to have any closing kick.
2. Brancusi (30-1) . Uneventful 2 year-old career. Broke his maiden on 2/15, finished a close 3rd to Buddy Gil in the San Felipe and a fading 2nd to Peace Rules in the Blue Grass in his three races this year.
3. Sir Cherokee . Scratched
4. Atswhatimtalknbout (12-1) . Did not run as a 2 year-old. Looked like the horse to beat in the Santa Anita Derby but disappointed as the 3-2 favorite (ran 4th by 3 ½). The added distance of the Derby can only help and his price is appealing.
5. Peace Rules (8-1) . Has won his last four which included the Blue Grass and the Louisiana Derby and comes in as the top money earner. Can.t leave out of your exotics.
6. Funny Cide (15-1) . Ran a game race in the Wood where he was 2nd to Empire Maker. Should battle Peace Rules and Indian Express for the lead.
7. Offlee Wild (30-1) . Hasn.t fired when in with the big boys but there.s some support for him in the 3rd or 4th spot in the Super.
8. Buddy Gil (8-1) . The Rodney Dangerfield horse . . . he.s won his last 3 at odds of 26-1, 9-1 (San Felipe) and 6-1 (Santa Anita Derby). Gutsy horse that doesn.t have any quit in him. Major Player.
9. Indian Express (12-1) . Surprise 2nd to Buddy Gil in the Santa Anita Derby. Baze just may try to steal this on the front end.
10. Lone Star Sky (50-1) . 4th best in the Illinois and Louisiana Derby.s doesn.t give this one much of a chance.
11. Domestic Dispute (30-1) . Was actually favored in the San Felipe but an in-the-money finish here would be a surprise.
12. Empire Maker (6-5) . Would be an overlay if 2-1 or better and obviously the horse to beat. If he wins this, he.ll be the 1st horse in over 20 years to win the Triple Crown.
13. Eye of the Tiger (50-1) . His two wins were a Maiden Special at Golden Gate and a $50,000 Optional claimer. Not my kind of longshot.
14. Ten Cents a Shine (50-1) . His chances are between .Slim. and .None. with .None. the favorite.
15. Outta Here (50-1) . Has run only 1 time this year, a 4th in the UAE Derby. His name tells the tale.
16. Ten Most Wanted (6-1) . Ran a big race in the Illinois Derby and the distance here shouldn.t be a factor. Most of the handicappers looking to beat Empire Maker pick this one.
17. Scrimshaw (15-1) . Lucas gets his Derby horse but I.m still not impressed.
Selections: 1. Empire Maker
3. Buddy Gil
4. Peace Rules